I’m still in denial that Thanksgiving is this Thursday! Ahhh! At least the house is looking somewhat clean at this point.
We are hosting for 15 this year, so the recipes below I typically double. I’m cutting back on appetizers and a couple side dishes, and making more of certain things based on what people ate more of last year (like we ran out of mashed potatoes). Here’s our line-up:
- Turkey (got a 21 pounder in the fridge!)…Hubby is in charge of this. All I know is he uses a lot of celery, carrots, and onion to help season it.
- Sweet Potato Casserole – I love sweet potatoes on their own, but adding some milk to them with brown sugar and pecans on top is heavenly. I usually make this the day prior and then put the topping on in the morning on Turkey Day.
- Slow Cooker Stuffing – this is another recipe Hubby is in charge of. He omits the mushrooms from this since we’re both not a fan. Love using the slow cooker since you can just leave this on all morning and not worry about it, and it also takes up less room in the oven.
- Skinny Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes - I add some shredded cheddar cheese to these to make them even creamier so my version isn’t totally skinny. This recipe is really easy to make so I do this the day of.
- Apple-Orange Cranberry Sauce…this is SO good and takes very little time. I’ve always been a fan of the stuff in a can but this homemade version really is better.
- Lightened Up Corn Casserole – so I made this last year and completely forgot that I left it in the oven while we were eating. Thank God we had shut off the oven so it wasn’t too brown but at that point everyone was full so we just dumped it!
- Salad (just a house salad with various dressings to choose from)
- Carrots & Turnips
- Green Bean Casserole
- Rice Pilaf
- Cranberry White Chocolate Chip Cookies. I made a version of these for a cookie swap last year but they were really flat and soggy so I’m trying this new recipe. I figured it’s something I can make tonight as an extra something in case people don’t want lots of pie.
- Pumpkin Pie
- Pecan Pie
- Pumpkin Trifle (easy easy…alternating layers of butterscotch pudding, pumpkin spice pudding, french vanilla pudding, cool whip, and then some graham cracker crumbles in between and on top. Love using my trifle bowl!)
Not sure why it doesn’t feel like it’s time for this holiday yet. Maybe it’s just because this whole year has flown by :)