Seriously, who doesn’t love quesadillas? You need just a few ingredients and about 20 minutes to create a quick and easy dinner. Hubby LOVES this version I have made a couple times now, so this will definitely be a keeper for future meals :) I use the Newman’s Light Sundried Tomato dressing that I bought to make the Sundried Tomato Bacon Chicken a month or so ago, and we always have whole wheat tortillas on hand because I eat a wrap for lunch every day. You can easily modify this recipe if you have other dressings in the fridge.
We have a quesadilla maker that we received for a housewarming gift, so if you don’t have one, I’m assuming you would just need to pop these in the oven for about 10 minutes or heat them on a skillet on the stove until the cheese is all melty. For this recipe, I cook the chicken and bacon ahead of time, so I really only use the quesadilla maker to melt everything together and brown the top and bottom of the tortillas. What I love most about the maker is that it automatically indents the tortillas into sections so it’s much easier to cut later on.
- 2-3 tablespoons Fat Free Cream Cheese, softened
- 2 cups Reduced Fat Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 4 Whole Wheat Tortillas
- 2 tablespoons Light Sundried Tomato Dressing
- 2 cups Frozen Chicken Strips
- 2 or 3 strips Turkey Bacon
- Fat Free Butter-Flavored Cooking Spray
- Fat Free Sour Cream for dipping
Let’s Get Cooking!
1. Pour the sundried tomato dressing in a small skillet and heat the frozen chicken strips on low-medium heat. Cook for about 5 minutes or so and turn often so all sides of the chicken are coated in the dressing.
2. In another skillet, cook the bacon on medium heat until browned on both sides.
3. Turn the quesadilla maker on. Spread a thin layer of cream cheese on one side of each tortilla wrap. Spray the cooking spray on the opposite side of the tortilla that does NOT have cream cheese on it. Place the tortilla wrap onto quesadilla maker so that the cream cheese side is facing up.
4. Add half of the chicken and half of the bacon to the top of the cream cheese side of the tortilla. Then layer on half of the shredded cheese and evenly spread.
5. Add the second tortilla to the top of the chicken, bacon and cheese. This time, the cream cheese side should be facing down. Spray the top of the opposite side of the tortilla with cooking spray.
6. Shut the quesadilla maker tightly so all the contents are smooshed together (sorry, can’t think of a more technical term) and heat for 5 minutes or until the cheese is completely melted and the top of the tortilla is lightly browned and crispy.
7. Take the quesadilla out of the maker and place on a plate for serving. Add sour cream for dipping and cut the quesadilla into sections.
8. Repeat to make a second quesadilla! Make sure to shut off the quesadilla maker once you are done :)