I originally found a recipe for a low-fat fettuccine alfredo last year but unfortunately I cannot find the link for it anywhere. I went to make it last week and couldn’t remember any of the measurements, ingredients, etc, so I started visiting my favorite food blogs for help. I found a few recipes that were similar but I just decided to wing it and this is definitely the best version I have ever made.
What I love about this recipe is that it’s fairly healthy as it’s low-fat and you can add in whatever you like – chicken, broccoli, other veggies, etc. The other nice thing is that it’s filling, so you don’t need to eat as much and you’ll have plenty of leftovers!
- 1 package of fettuccine noodles
- 1 8 oz package fat-free cream cheese, softened (at room temp)
- 3/4 cup fat-free half and half (I started with 1/2 cup but wanted it a little creamier, so this is to your preference)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 cups frozen chicken strips (we use Tyson brand)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
Let’s Get Cooking!
1. In a large pot, cook the noodles in boiling water for 8-9 minutes. While noodles are cooking, heat the frozen chicken strips on a plate in the microwave for 2 minutes, so they get slightly warm. Set aside for now.
2. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil on medium heat. Add in the cream cheese and half and half, stir until completely melted.
3. Add in parmesan cheese and pepper and stir until well combined. Let the mixture heat for a few minutes, while continuing to stir.
4. Drain the fettuccine noodles and then mix noodles into the alfredo mixture. Stir well until all noodles are covered. Add in chicken strips and mix well. Let entire mixture heat for a few minutes so chicken gets hot.
Enjoy! Next time I will be adding steamed broccoli to my portion as hubby does not believe in eating veggies :)